Prep 24 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
The Wedding Cake made by Margaret Sinclair for her wedding to Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 lbs currants
- 1 lb sultana raisin
- 2 lbs seedless raisins
- 1 lb chopped mixed candied peel
- 3⁄4 lb candied cherry, halved
- 1⁄2 lb blanched slivered almond
- 1⁄4 lb slivered brazil nut
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 7 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 2⁄3 cups soft butter
- 2 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 12 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 1⁄3 cup bottled grape juice
- Prepare fruit and nuts before you make the cake.
- Put in a large bowl and pour brandy over.
- Mix well.
- Let stand at room temperature for at least 8 hours.
- Put 1/4 c sugar in a heavy skillet.
- Heat over moderate heat stirring constantly until melted and brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in boiling water gradually (be careful of steam).
- Return to low heat and stir just until any lumps of sugar are melted.
- (do not boil) Remove from stove and immediately pour into a cup or bowl so cooking ceases.
- Generously grease a set of pans (1 ea- 8" sq, 6" sq, 4" sq) and line with heavy greased brown paper.
- Sift together flour, salt, and spices, and sift one cup of mixture over fruit/nut mixture.
- Toss together so fruit is coated.
- Cream together butter and sugar thoroughly.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition (most of the mixing can be done with an electric mixer- but batter must be transferred to a very large bowl).
- Blend in dry ingredients alternately with the mixture of grape juice and cooled caramel mixture.
- Add fruit/nut mixture and blend thoroughly (Hands are the easiest) Preheat oven to 300F.
- Place a pan of hot water in the bottom of the oven.
- Put batter in prepared pans using following amounts: 8"- 10 cups, 6"- 5 cups, 4"- 2 cups (or 2/3 full).
- Cooking times- 8" in 4 hours, 6"- 3 1/2 hours, 4"- 2 1/2 hours.
- Test for doneness with a tooth pick.
- Remove cakes from pans, cool thoroughly.
- Strip off paper, wrap in cheesecloth.
- Wet with brandy (or dark rum).
- Wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Store for at least 2 weeks in a cool place (Longer is better).
A nice, moist fruit cake. Made this but only made 1/3 of it...didn't need 3 cakes. The melting of the sugar is necessary to add a 'caramel' flavour.
Great cake - the melting of the sugar is fussy and uncessary - sugar can be added in a different method