Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
An easy cake recipe from the past.
- 177.44 ml butter, softened
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml milk
- 118.29 ml water
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml almond extract
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- Cream butter and sugar, beating until smooth.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Combine milk and water. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition. Stir in flavoring.
- Beat egg whites (at room temp.) until soft peaks form and then fold into the batter.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing the layers to cool completely.
This is a delicous cake. I've never been able to just take a chunk of cake and eat it without frosting! I like that it kind of has an angel food taste and texter, but more dense. It's spectacular and it's the cake I've chosed to use for my daughters first birthday cake. I have made this twice, the first time I used the water as stated, and this time around (it's still in the oven) I used oil instead of water, hoping that it would be a little moister. Thanks for a great recipe!