Recipe by mare
this is a very light and fluffy icing..It is like whipped cream but it does not need to be refrigerated..IMPORTANT..to Roosie..you must beat the sugar and butter and Crisco for a full ten minutes..the HOT(not boiling) milk must be added VERY VERY slowly..about 1/8 of a cup at a time all the while beating it well...
Top Review by AliciaGski
It's almost pointless to add another 5-star to this, but WOW! I will NEVER use any other icing ever. I made a minor error of beating butter crisco, adding the sugar after 10 mins. It gave the icing a bit of a grit but it was still off-the-wall good! I actually dripped the milk in very slowly because I didn't want it to break down as Roosie's did - Worked perfect for me! I'm gonna experiment with adding cocoa...hmmmm
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar or 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup hot milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- beat for a full 10 minutes( very important) the following 3 ingredients: butter or margarine, crisco, granulated sugar (or use 1 cup packed brown sugar for a maple icing).
- heat milk in microwave till very hot (not boiling).
- while beating. add hot milk to sugar and butter mixture very slowly.(I mean about 1/8 of a cup at a time -- all the while beating it well --
- after all of the milk has been beaten in, beat in vanilla extract.
- this is delicious (the brown sugar icing is wonderful with chocolate cake especially good with butter pecan or spice cake).