Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this in an old Sunset cookbook. These taste like gingerbread and are also good for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup ground chocolate or 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup pecans (optional)
- Stir together brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, ground chocolate, flour and baking powder until ingredients are well combined.
- Add eggs, bourbon, vanilla and molasses and beat until well blended.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spread in well greased 10"x15" rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 F for 30 minutes or until firm when lightly touched.
- Let cool and cut into squares.