Recipe by Sherrybeth
I think the first time I made this recipe I was 12 years old and it was for a state Rice Cookery contest. I had to give a presentation about rice while preparing the dish and my knees were knocking together so hard that I barely got the dish plated and served; however, it won me 2nd place. My family requests this often. It is a flavorful side dish.
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked rice
- 8 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup ham, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 minced garlic clove
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the rice in a medium saucepan, by bringing the water to a boil. Stir in rice. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes.
- After the rice is done and cooled, in a large bowl combine cooked rice with with ham, bacon, celery, tomato, onion, and bell pepper. Toss well.
- In a small bowl, prepare the dressing by whiskin together salad dressing, thyme, chili powder, salt, and garlic.
- Pour over salad and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Add crumbled bacon immediately prior to serving.