Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Great to take on a picnic or to a pot luck or to have in the comfort of your own home!
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded white cabbage
- 2 cups grated peeled carrots
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced yellow onion
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared dijon-style mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2⁄3 cup best-quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- Toss both kinds of cabbage, the grated carrots and minced onion together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, sugar and mustard; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slowly whisk in the oil to form a fairly thick and creamy dressing.
- Taste and correct seasoning as necessary.
- Pour half of the dressing over the vegetables in the bowl.
- Sprinkle on the caraway seeds and toss well.
- Taste; add additional dressing as you like.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hrs.
- Allow to return to room temperature before serving.
I'm up for Mardi Gras anytime of the year, & since I also like coleslaw, this recipe was just beckoning me! As with others who made this, we particularly enjoyed the inclusion of the caraway seeds! Definitely will be making this again ~ Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
This is a nice slaw and unique using mustard instead of mayo. We didn't have caraway seeds, so we used celery seeds. We used bag slaw mix and unfortunately it did not have red cabbage in it. Grrrrr!!! We felt it was just a bit too much vinegar but otherwise a great recipe. Thanks for posting.
The mustard-vinegar dressing on this was really wonderful. I made it for a picnic, and everyone loved it! I used 4 cups of white cabbage and added 1 chopped apples. I also didn't use any caraway seeds since I forgot to buy them at the store. I wish that I had remembered because the other reviews highlighted them. I'll have try it again with the caraway since this was so yummy even without them! Thanks Sharon!