Recipe by VeggieChallenge
Jenny of the Veggie Challenge team, loves to add chickpeas to many of her dishes. Here's one of her favourites.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chickpeas, cooked, drained and well-rinsed (or from a can)
- 3 -4 cups vegetables, chopped
- fresh parsley sprig
- 2 teaspoons instant vegetable broth mix or 1 vegetable stock cube
- herbs (such as oregano and basil)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot with a tight fitting lid, sauté onion in oil.
- When the onion becomes golden, add the rice and stir for two minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, strained chickpeas, vegetables, broth mix and the seasonings, and stir well.
- Cover and simmer until the rice is cooked (about 40 minutes). You may want to uncover towards the end to reduce the liquid, if necessary.
- Source: Vegetarian Tastes of Toronto, p. 83.