Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My kids all love pancakes.....the crispy outside and fluffy inside....and filling for a good day of school and play. I enjoy the standard recipe for pancakes, BUT, like always.....I like to create my own. Hence, this recipe. Knowing the basics of what is needed I modified it for almost a year before I settled on this hit recipe.
- Preheat skillet to 300 while preparing mix. NO HOTTER or it will burn the outside before the inside is cooked enough to flip.
- In mixer, high speed, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Turn to low and add cream slowly. Add honey(heat in microwave for 30 seconds), sugar, vanilla and butter and mix for 3 minutes.
- Leaving mixer on low, have remaining ingredients ready to mix. Slowly add baking powder, baking soda, flour, salt. Do not mix for more than 3 minutes. What is left on side of bowl, scrap into mix and fold together gently.
- Use 1 tbsp of bacon grease and spread evenly over skillet to cook pancakes on. You will need this much each round of new pancake batter poured. It gives the outside crust a crispy texture.
- Pour 1/3 cup of batter on skillet. Check under edge. When it is golden brown flip pancake. BEWARE: Pancake may be 'doughy' on top and spread out to about 3 inches. Use wide spatula. Some skillets cook faster, some slower. Adjust cook time(NOT TEMP). Anymore than 1/3 cup and it will get messy trying to flip with standard size spatula.
- Cook other side until browned.
- Serve on plate with real butter for a true test of taste. Drizzle maple syrup on top to suit your own taste.