Marco's Twist on Bolognese
- Add the carrot, onion, celery and garlic to a large saucepan with 2tbsp olive oil and cook gently over a low heat, to allow the flavours to come out.
- Add the beef and cook, pouring off any excess fat and stirring thoroughly to remove any lumps. Stir in the tomato puree and wine, and simmer until the liquid evaporates.
- Add the water and stock pot, and simmer off the liquid again.
- Pour the chopped tomatoes and passata into the pan. Bring back to the boil, then add the bay leaf and thyme. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Fry the cherry tomatoes in the remaining tbsp of oil, then add them to the sauce. Remove the bay leaf and thyme. Finish by grating in the chocolate and adding the chilli.
- Serve with the spaghetti, and top with Parmesan and a sprig of fresh basil, if you like.