Recipe by peachez
This is a " must " at our house during the holidays. Adjust any amounts or use your own favourite filling for the deviled eggs. Kids get wide eyed seeing the marbled eggs and as do the adults. I make a separate food coloured egg tray for the kids, they just don't care for any spices added. Cook time is the marbling / favouring time.
- 12 eggs, hardcooked and cooled
- juice only of jarred pickled beets or red food coloring
- juice only of jarred jalapeno peppers or green food coloring
- 3 tablespoons celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet gherkins, chopped
- 3 tablespoons honey mustard (or your favourite)
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise, to moisten,your taste
- 1 dash balsamic vinegar
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (optional)
- jalapeno juice or chopped jalapeno (optional)
- sour cream, combined well with (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup canned Rotel Tomatoes, drained,hot version,in place of mayonanise,more to taste (optional)
- fresh basil, rough chop
- black olives or green pimento stuffed olive, sliced
- sliced jalapeno
- honey roasted peanuts, coarse crush (kids like this)
Directions See How It's Made
- Gently crack egg shells, do not remove shells.
- I use large clean mayonnaise jars to colour the eggs, turning occasionally.
- Submerge 6 eggs in beet juice, adding a few dashes of red food colouring.
- Submerge 6 eggs in jalapeno juice, adding a few dashes of green food colouring Refrigerate 1- 2 days, marbling and flavour will intensify the longer left in juices and by adding more food colourings If using food colouring's only, place cracked eggs in jars large enough to submerge, checking on intensity of colours Remove eggs from juices, drain well and peel.
- Split in halves, removing yolks.
- Combine yolks, filling ingredients and any options, adjust to your taste.
- Refill halves with mixture.
- Sprinkle with any choice of toppings.
- Refrigerate till ready to serve.
- *Instead of deviling, I use my mushroom slicer to make fan out slices of the marbled eggs to garnish potato salade, very pretty touch.