Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a fairly easy cake to make as it uses a mix with added ingredients. It is also a nice one to carry to things like bake sales and pot lucks as it does not have a sticky, messy icing.
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in a medium size bowl for 1 minute, stir, then continue to heat it for 10-20 second bursts until stirs smooth and totally melted, set aside.
- Mix the rest of the items (except powdered sugar) together, beating on low speed until moist then on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Take 2 cups of the cake batter and stir into the melted chocolate.
- Using a greased bundt or round tube pan, spoon in the two batters alternately.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes; check for doneness with a toothpick.
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely before sprinkling with powdered sugar (right before serving).
So easy and delicious!!! Even with the substitutions I made... I didn't have any semi sweet morsels in the house and didn't feel like running to the store... BUT I did have some Nutella that was almost at its expiration date... Since I knew 1c of morsels weigh approx 6 oz I subbed in 4 oz of Nutella ( since its sweeter...) I also did not use the oil, but instead subbed unsweetened applesauce... but I guess I can't read, since I only added in 1/4c instead of 1/2c!!! I also did not add in the 1/4c sugar... I baked it in a well greased and floured angel food cake pan ( all I had) and it came out sooooo moist and delicious!!! I used a butter knife to marble the top of the cake before baking and it was so pretty when sliced. It was perfectly sweet for us and really moist even without the added fat and sugar... What a great way to dress up a box mix!!! Thanks for posting!!!
MOIST!! Okay I must admit I'm one of a few weirdo's who don't like chocalate very much. But I had some semisweet chips left over from another recipe (it called for a whole bag but I only used half-see I told you I'm not that crazy about chocolate). This cake is two days old and it is still so moist. My family thought it was soooo pretty with it's marble layers. I'm planning to make one for a gettogether this weekend. Thanks
I really loved this cake!! It was very easy to make and after it cooled I sprinkled it with powdered sugar. Everyone who tried it at my house liked it. I might try egg beaters next time to lower the amount of cholesterol. I think I almost overbaked the cake at 40 minutes so I would recommend to only leave it in oven for 35 min.Thanks for sharing Trisha W.