Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
Known in our family as Chocolate Garlic, thanks to a very clever (and probably concerned before she tasted them) girl. :) Again, from Williams Sonoma.
- Preheat oven to 275°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Bring 2 inches water to a simmer in a saucepan.
- Put chocolate in heatproof bowl and set over simmering water. Melt, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In another bowl, combine egg whites and sugar. Place over simmering water and whisk until hot, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer bowl to a mixer and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form and mixture is lukewarm, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove bowl from mixer and drizzle melted chocolate over the egg whites, folding in with a rubber spatula until just marbled.
- Use a soup spoon to drop batter in large mounds spaced 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake until crunchy outside and still chewy inside, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer pans to a wire rack and cool completely before removing the cookies from the parchment.
- Store in an airtight container.