Moist and delicious!! Everyone raves about them. You probably should make a double batch because they disappear QUICKLY!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Cherry Cream Filling
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup chopped maraschino cherry, well drained
- Prepare Cherry Cream Filling; set aside.
- Cherry Cream Filling: Beat cream cheese and sugar in small bowl on medium speed of electric mixer until blended.
- Add egg, vanilla and almond extract; beat well. (Mixture will be thin.)
- Stir in cherries.
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease 9-inch square baking pan.
- For Brownies: Stir butter and cocoa in small bowl until well blended; cool slightly.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl until foamy. Gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating until well blended.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture.
- Add cocoa mixture; stir until well blended. Spread half of chocolate batter into prepared pan; cover with cherry filling.
- Drop spoonfuls of remaining chocolate batter over filling. With knife or spatula, gently swirl chocolate batter into filling for marbled effect.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan.
- Cool; cut into squares.
- Cover and refrigerate leftover brownies. Bring to room temperature to serve.
These are great! I used frozen dark sweet cherries instead of maraschino and it was delicious. They are super moist, but still sturdy enough to slice, and they have a lovely flavor that is surprisingly not crazy sweet (but make no mistake - it's obviously a dessert). I doubled the batch and gave half to some friends and my 10-year-old was all for polishing off the rest before her dad and brother got home - but I convinced her to wait till after dinner and top it with some ice cream!
Even though I cheated and used a Ghirardelli brownie mix I'm going to give this one 5 stars because the cherry cream filling was great. I was hoping for a little more pink color to come thru in the marbling but could always add a little food coloring for that. I've also had cherry flavoring sitting around so I substituted 1/2 the vanilla with cherry. Thanks for the recipe! :)
I used box brownies with the cherry filling. YUM!! I also soaked my cherries in rum. They were delicious. Will make again.