Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A rich, yummy brownie with a cream cheese swirl and a thin chocolate-y icing. Starts with a brownie mix, and makes a 9x13 pan. This is a recipe my mom has made for years. **Note: the 1 egg and 1/4 c. oil in ingredients is for the brownie mix I use; prepare your mix as directed on the box, if it calls for more or less oil, water, etc. **
- 19 1⁄2 ounces brownie mix
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350* and grease 9x13 baking pan.
- Mix brownie mix as directed -- adding 1 egg and 1/4 cup oil, or whatever your mix's directions say. Set aside.
- Mix softened cream cheese and softened butter until creamy. Add sugar, 2 eggs, flour and vanilla.
- Pour half of brownie mix into greased pan. Pour all of cream cheese mixture over this; spoon remaining brownie mix on top, and spread as best you can - it will be thick and likely won't cover all of the cream cheese layer.
- Swirl together with a knife.
- Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes.
- For frosting: Melt margarine or butter. Add cocoa, milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla; whisk until your desired thickness. Can add more powdered sugar for a thicker icing.
- *Hint: I sift the powdered sugar into the mixture; it helps prevent a 'lumpy' appearance since it's a thinner icing.
Very yummy! The whole family enjoyed these! Easy to make, too. Lovely frosting that's just right: rich and fudgy, but not so much of it that it's cloyingly sweet. Ms. Bold's beautiful picture made me want to try these and I'm so glad I did. Would be a great quick fix for school lunchboxes or a pot luck. Wasn't exactly sure if the oil and egg was in addition to the ingredients called for on the brownie box, so I followed Ms. Bold's lead and prepared my mix as directed on the box. Then made and added the cream cheese layer as directed. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
This is an excellent brownie recipe. Nobody guessed that they started with a mix. I am not a huge fan of icing on brownies and almost left it off, but am glad that included it. It added just the right amount of sweetness to contrast with the marbled cream cheese. This is going to be my new standard brownie recipe.
waw looks yummy i will try this at home.