Recipe by Chef Norma JS
A never-fail-to-please marble cake. The addition of almond extract makes this cake a family favorite.
Top Review by Cook4_6
My daughter asked for a homemade marble cake for her birthday, so I made this one for her. She loved it! It wasn't moist enough for me; perhaps I baked it too long. I really loved the addition of almond extract! Good flavor!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, Softened
- 4 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, Pure is preferable
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa (fine quality for baking)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 10 inch tube pan, dust with flour and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl beat sugar and butter together at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add 1/3 of flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat just until blended. Add 1/3 of milk and vanilla until blended and repeat twice with the remainder until blended.
- Remove about 2 1/2 cups of batter and add cocoa and almond extract to it just until blended.
- Alternately spoon vanilla and chocolate batters into prepared pan. Using a knife twist it through the batter once.
- Bake 45 minute to 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 minute. Remove cake from pan and let cool completely on a rack.
- You may add icing or powdered sugar if desired.
- This cake freezes well.