Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A little butter; some fresh fruit; and coffee with steaming cream. Perfect!!
- 4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- Heat oven to 425F.
- Grease large baking sheet.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Remove 1 1/4 c.
- flour mixture to medium-size bowl.
- In small bowl, combine buttermilk and vanilla.
- In cup, combine 1/4 c.
- buttermilk mixture and chocolate.
- Add remaining buttermilk mixture to remaining flour mixture in large bowl and mix lightly with fork until mixture clings together and forms a soft dough.
- Add chocolate mixture to the1 1/4 c.
- flour mixture and stir with fork until it forms a soft dough.
- Turn both doughs out onto lightly floured surface; divide chocolate dough into 6 pieces.
- Dot 3 chocolate pieces over surface of plain dough.
- Fold dough over and dot with remaininng 3 pieces; knead gently 5-6 times to marbelize dough.
- Divide dough in half.
- With lightly floured rolling pin, roll one half into a 7" round.
- Cut into 4 wedges.
- Repeat with remaining half of dough.
- Place scones, 1" apart, on greased baking sheet.
- Pierce tops with tines of fork.
- Bake scones 15-18 min.
- or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.