Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chocolate brownies with a contrasting swirl.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee crystals
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, melted and cooled
- 1⁄2 cup milk chocolate pieces
- 1⁄4 cup toasted almond, finely chopped
- Cream shortening and sugar till fluffy; beat in eggs just until blended.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into.
- creamed mixture.
- Spoon half of the batter into another bowl.
- Dissolve coffee crystals in the water; stir coffee and melted chocolate into remaining batter.
- Drop chocolate mixture from tablespoon checkerboard.
- fashion into greased 13"x9"x2" baking pan, and fill in the open spaces with light batter.
- Lightly swirl batters together with a spatula to marble (do NOT overmix).
- Bake at 350F for 22-25 minutes, and immediately sprinkle milk chocolate pieces over top.
- Let stand 2-3 minutes to melt; spread chocolate evenly over brownies, and sprinkle with almonds.
- Cool; cut into bars.