Recipe by Steve P.
Delicious chocolate brownies with a cream cheese cake swirl. They will get eaten as fast as you can bake them.
Top Review by Caryn
Moist and Yummy! The chocolate and cream cheese had just the right balance. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't get that hard crusty edge on my brownies, yet they were done in the center. My zig zag marble swirl left much to be desired. Next time I think I might just drop the cream cheese mixture in dollops over the chocolate mixture to see if my zig zag doesn't turn out better (so I'm a bit handicapped..). Thanks for sharing! :)
- 113.39 g package Baker's German's chocolate
- 73.94 ml butter or 73.94 ml margarine
- 85.04 g package cream cheese, softened
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 118.29 ml unsifted all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 1.23 ml almond extract (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate and 3 of the tablespoons of butter in a small sauce pan over very low heat, stirring constantly.
- Cool and set aside.
- Blend remaining butter with cream cheese until softened.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup of sugar, beating well.
- Blend in 1 egg, 1 Tbs flour, and 1/2 tsp vanilla; set aside.
- Beat 2 eggs until thick and light in color.
- Gradually add 3/4 cup of sugar, beating until thickened.
- Add baking powder, salt, and 1/2 cup of flour.
- Blend in cooled chocolate mixture and nuts, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp almond extract.
- Spread 1/2 the chocolate batter in a greased 8 or 9-inch square pan.
- Add cheese mixture, spreading evenly over the chocolate batter.
- Top with tablespoons of the remaining chocolate batter dotted all over the top of the cream cheese layer.
- Zigzag a wide knife through the batter to marble swirl it.
- Bake at 350ºF for 35 to 40 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly pressed in the center.
- Cool cut in bars or squares.
- Makes 16 to 20.