Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious and beautiful!
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 8 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Sift together into large bowl, flour, 1 1/4 cups sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl beat yolks, 3/4 cups water, oil and vanilla on high speed until smooth.
- Stir into the flour mixture until smooth.
- In another clean, dry bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/4 cups sugar. Beat until peaks are stiff but not dry.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the yolk mixture, then add remaining whites. Do not Stir!
- Pour into 9 x 13 pan.
- In a measuring cup with a pourable lip, mix cocoa with remaining water and sugar.
- Slowly pour over cake in a grid like pattern. Using a fork, cut through the batter to marbelize, following the pattern of the cocoa.
- Immediately place in oven for 1 hour.