Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Very easy and delicious cake for bithdays. From Vogue Entertaining.
- 180 g butter
- 180 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 80 ml water
- 25 g caster sugar
- 225 g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180° celcius.
- Grease 20cm fluted ring/ or round cake tin. Dust with flour.
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Mix until creamy.
- Mix in flour alternating with milk and vanilla essence slowly, mixing after each addition.
- Divide mixture into three.
- Mix cocoa powder into one third.
- Red food colouring into another third.
- Place alternating spoonfuls of the three mixtures into cake tin.
- Level surface and bake for 40 -50 minutes until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Slightly cool cake and when still warm pour icing over.
- To make the icing:.
- Heat water with caster sugar until dissolved. Place icing sugar and syrup into a bowl and beat until smooth.