Top Review by vrvrvr
This cake turned out wonderful. I did make some adjustments here and there: didn't have 3 eggs, only 2 extra-large; I added 2 T. sour cream. I added salt (1/2 tsp.) And I just mixed it all in a big bowl - not beating "just until combined" as #5 directed, but beating at high for a good 2 minutes. I baked it at 350 for about 40 minutes. The texture is moist and velvety. I covered it with a chocolate glaze. A winner.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate syrup (SUCH AS QUIK OR BROWN COW)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl beat together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer until very smooth and creamy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- while you continue the beating add the milk a little at a time.
- beat for another minute or so.
- in another bowl, stir together the flour and baking powder.
- add this to the milk mixture-- in 3 or 4 portions-- and beat just until everything is combined.
- now, grease a large (12-cup) bundt pan and pour about 2/3 of the batter into the pan.
- add the chocolate syrup and the baking soda into the remaining batter, and beat with the mixer just until blended.
- spoon the chocolate batter into the pan over the white batter.
- using a spatula or knife, gently swirl the two batters together- don't blend them, you just want a marbled effect.
- bake at 325°f for 60 to 75 minutes, until a toothpick poked into the thickest part of the cake comes out clean.
- allow the cake to cool for about half an hour before attempting to remove it from the pan.
- finish cooling on a rack, then sprinkle heavily with icing sugar before serving.