Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a recipe from Reminisce Magazine that caught my eye. I didn't see this particular cake here, so I'm posting it. Can't wait to try it! Note: On the recipe it recommends using a stand mixer after the frosting reaches 160F.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 16 maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- additional maraschino cherry (optional)
- In large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
- Add egg whites and cherry juice.
- Mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
- Stir in cherries and nuts.
- Place the batter in two greased and floured 9" round baking pans.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, corn syrup and cream of tartar in heavy saucepan over low heat or double boiler over simmering water.
- With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute.
- Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160 F, about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour into mixing bowl.
- Add vanilla.
- Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Spread between the layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Garnish with cherries if desired.