Recipe by grandma2969
be sure to reserve the cherry juice to mix with powdered sugar to drizzle over the top...sometimes I use 1 stick margarine and 1 stick butter
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 5 ounces maraschino cherries
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 15 ounces evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- cream butter and sugar -- add eggs, mix well.
- add dry ingredients, alternately with milk --
- fold in flavorings -- nuts and cherries, which have been slightly chopped, drained.(be sure to reserve the juice) --
- pour into 13x9 baking pan which has been greased and floured --
- bake at 350* for 55 minutes.
- mix reserved cherry juice and enough powdered sugar to make a drizzling glaze.
- drizzle over the top of cooled cake.
- garnish with cherries and walnuts, if desired -- .