Recipe by Richd250
Pretty pink refrigerator cookies, made with chopped maraschino cherries in an almond-flavored dough, have a shiny white frosting of Royal Icing
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup maraschino cherry, chopped drained
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the butter in a mixing bowl, and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in 2/3 cup of confectioners' sugar, then add almond extract, eggs, and salt, and beat until the mixture is fluffy and well combined, about 3 more minutes. Reduce mixer speed to medium, and gradually beat in flour until the dough is smooth, about 1 minute. Gently stir in the maraschino cherries.
- Form the dough into 2 logs about 1 inch in diameter, roll each log in plastic wrap or waxed paper, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut each dough log into about 25 slices about 1/2-inch thick, and place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1/2 inch of space between each cookie.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cookies are set but not browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove to cooling racks to cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- To make icing, beat egg whites with lemon juice until frothy, about 1 minute, then beat in vanilla extract and confectioners' sugar, a cupful at a time, until the icing is smooth and spreadable. Spread about 1 teaspoon of icing on each cooled cookie, and let the icing harden before stacking.