1 hr 12 mins
1 hr 5 mins
For Welcome to Bahrain Tag Game! "Versions of this recipe are found throughout the Middle East. My mother's version is especially good and really easy to make. You can use this recipe as a base for making all types of middle eastern stews. The basic technique is to fry the meat in spices (this is an important step that many people skip as it seals the flavor of the spices), fry vegetables and onions in a seperate pan. Add water to the meat and then add the vegetables." " In Bahrain we usually use goat meat but that's difficult to find elseware" From http://6abkhatummi.blogspot.ca
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2-1 teaspoon minced garlic (optional)
- juice of one lemons or 2 dried limes
- 1 -2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 large tomatoes (or 6 small tomatoes, diced, original poster prefers Italian plum tomatoes)
- 1 lb okra (Original poster uses 16 oz frozen packages you find in grocery stores. The best okra to use is the s)
- 1 lb of stewing goat meat or 1 lb lamb
- 2 teaspoons khaliji mixed spice (Gulf Spices (Ibzar))
- salt and pepper, to taste
- oil (for frying)
- 1Rub meat with ibzaar mixture.
- 2Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan or pot. Add meat with spices. Add some salt to meat. Fry until brown.
- 3Heat oil in seperate sautee/frying pan. Add tomatoes, onions, okra and garlic. Fry until onions are soft and slightly golden and until okra starts to slightly change color. It is best to add the garlic at the end of the frying process as garlic burns easily.
- 4Add above mixture to meat.
- 5Add water (make sure that meat is completely covered by at least 1 inch).
- 6Add tomato paste, lemon (or dried limes) and salt to taste.
- 7Bring to boil. Cover pot and reduce heat to medium for around 45 min and then low for maybe 10 to 15 minute
- 8Serve with Basmati rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maragat Bamia - Okra Stew With Goat
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.6
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 64.6 mg
- Sodium 142.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: