Recipe by wizkid
This is a Catalan dish, it was given to me by the publican of our local pub. Every Monday he prepares a different dish, and this particular one was especially delicious.
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into 4s
- 10 large prawns, heads and shells on
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped
- 4 fluid ounces dry white wine
- 1 dash Ricard
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs parsley, finely chopped
- 1 slice of fried bread
- 30 g chocolate, grated (dark)
- 8 almonds, blanched and roasted and finely ground
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the chicken pieces and set aside.
- Cook the onions until wilted and beginning to caramelise, adding and cooking off a bit of the water if desired.
- Add the tomatoes and mix well, then continue cooking until all the liquid has evaporated and the tomatoes have begun to melt into the onions.
- Mix the chicken with the tomato and onion mixture, and add 1/2 litre of water, bring to the boil.
- Then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Add the wine and Ricard, return to the boil, then reduce the heat again and continue simmering.
- After 20 minutes add the prawns to the pan.
- Simmer for another 20 minutes until the chicken is very tender, adding more water if necessary.
- Blend together the garlic, bread, chocolate and finely pre-ground almonds.
- Then blend in the parsley.
- Finally add enough olive oil to make a thick paste (the Picada).
- About 10 minutes before the cooking is completed, add salt and pepper to taste and stir in the Picada.