1/1 Photo of Mapo Tofu With Shrimp Japanese-Sichuan Style
Tofu (Japanese name for Bean Curd, Chinese name Dou Fo) is high in protein, inexpensive and blends very well with many types of foods. This is a Japanese and Chinese Sichuan style recipe with shrimps and Chinese garlic chives. This recipe was modified from Iron Chef Chinese-Chef Chen’s Mapo Tofu by Rinshinomori Iron Chef Chinese - Chef Chen's Mapo Tofu (http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all/296880)... which is more of a Japanese Mapo Tofu recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon black beans (Chinese salted black beans)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (substitute Harveys Bristol Cream, sake)
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 ounces ground pork (substitute ground beef, turkey or chicken meat)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3/4 cup chicken stock (substitute other types of stock)
- 2 tablespoons bean sauce (Amoy Sichuan Spicy Noodle Sauce)
- 1/2 tablespoon chili paste with garlic (Chinese)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch (substitute cornstarch)
- 15 ounces tofu (FIRM Japanese or Chinese)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup chives (Chinese Garlic Chives, substitute spring onions, scallions)
- 1/2 lb shrimp (medium size, remove the shell, devein & split half way)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2In a cup add the salted black beans (rinse briefly in water to remove some of the salt) and then add 1-2 tablespoon dry sherry or substitutes. Then add grated ginger, chopped garlic and soak for 15 or more minutes, set aside.
- 3In a bowl add the ground meat and 1 tablespoon soy sauce and mix, set aside.
- 4In a cup add stock, Amoy Sichuan Spicy Noodle Sauce, chili paste with garlic, set aside.
- 5In a cup add the 2 tablespoons tapioca starch and 4 tablespoons water, mix and set aside.
- 6Cut up the FIRM tofu into bite size cubes, place in a pot of low boiling water, add 1 teaspoon salt and cook for 7 minutes, drain and set aside.
- 7For the Chinese Chives, discard the buds/flowers (some like to use this), wash the Chives and then cut into small 1 inch pieces ( ¾ cup), set aside, (or if using spring onions/scallions, wash and clean then cut into small pieces).
- 8Place the cleaned shrimp in a boil, add 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vinegar, toss and let sit for about 15 minutes, set aside.
- 9COOKING DIRECTIONS.
- 10In a wok (or Teflon pan) add the peanut oil and when hot add the salted black bean mixture, stir for 1 minute.
- 11Add the ground pork (or other meat) and stir to break up the pieces for about 1 minute.
- 12Next add the stock mixture, stir and bring to a boil.
- 13Add the tofu, chives and gently toss (try not to break up the tofu), cover and let cook for 2 or more minutes, remove the cover and gently toss again, cover and let cook for 1 more minutes. (Further, if substituting spring scallions in place of chives, add at the same time the sesame oil is added).
- 14Mix the tapioca starch and water, remove the cover and then add ½ of the mixture and at the same time stir gently until the sauce becomes thick (add more of the tapioca mixture as needed).
- 15Add the shrimp (discard liquid), toss gently and cook until it has a pink coloring (do not over cook).
- 16Add sesame oil, briefly toss gently… now you are almost finished.
- 17In individual plates add some white rice and then the shrimp/black bean tofu sauce on the side or on top.
- 20This recipe is fairly mild in taste. However, you can add chili oil, chili peppers or other hot spices to taste.
- 21The Amoy Sichuan Spicy Noodle Sauce (fermented salted soybean, chili, garlic) is a great ingredient for this spicy dish or use other types of bean sauces (like Japanese miso paste, Chinese brown bean sauce) found in Asian food stores.
- 22Serve with white or other rice of your choice.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mapo Tofu With Shrimp Japanese-Sichuan Style
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.0
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 83.0 mg
- Sodium 1817.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 19.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili paste with garlic