1/4 Photos of Mapo Tofu With Chinese Black Beans Sichuan Style
Tofu (Japanese name for Bean Curd (Chinese name Dou Fo) is high in protein, inexpensive and blends very well with many foods. There are different variations of tofu from the cuisines of Korea, Japan and China. Plus each country has variations such as silken (very soft), soft, medium or firm tofu. I recommend using a medium or firm tofu and a Sichuan Spicy Noodle Sauce for this tasty dish. This dish can be very spicy or mild according to your personal tasteï¿½ see notes below.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 ounces tofu (medium or firm)
- 2 ounces ground pork (substitute ground beef, turkey or chicken meat)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 cup chicken soup base (or Won Ton powder)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (non-sweetened brand, read label on bottle)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons black beans (Chinese salted black beans) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon bean sauce (Amoy Sichuan Spicy Noodle Sauce) (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon chili paste with garlic (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili pepper (optional)
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch (substitute cornstarch)
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 scallions, cut up into small diagonal lengths (green onion)
- 2Rinse briefly the salted black beans in water to remove some of the salt and then add 2 or more tablespoons rice wine and soak for 15 minutes, set aside.
- 3Add grated ginger to the salted black beans.
- 4In a bowl add the ground meat and 1 tablespoon soya sauce and mix, set aside.
- 5In a measuring cup add 1/2 to 3/4 cup stock, oyster sauce, Amoy Sichuan Spicy Noodle Sauce, garlic, chili paste with garlic, sugar, chili peppers, set aside.
- 6Cut up the tofu into bite size cubes, set aside.
- 7In a cup add 3 tablespoons tapioca starch, 4 tablespoons stock, mix to create a watery mixture, set aside.
- 8COOKING DIRECTIONS.
- 9In a wok (or Teflon pan) add the peanut oil and when hot add the salted black bean mixture, stir for 1 minute.
- 10Add the ground pork (or other meat) and stir to break up the pieces for about 1 minute.
- 11Next add the stock mixture, stir and bring to a boil.
- 12Add the tofu and gently toss (try not to break up the tofu), cover and let cook for 2 or more minutes, remove the cover and gently toss again, cover and let cook for 1 more minutes.
- 13Mix the tapioca starch and stock, remove the cover and then add ½ of the mixture and at the same time stir gently until the sauce becomes thick (add more of the tapioca mixture as needed).
- 14Add the scallions and sesame oil, briefly toss gentlyï¿½ now you are almost finished.
- 15In individual plates add some white rice and the black bean & tofu sauce on the side or on top.
- 18You can substitute ingredients like using sweet oyster sauce or eliminating the salted black beans and also reducing a little of the spicy ingredients for a milder dish.
- 19The photo shows that I used scotch bonnet peppers which are extremely hot, so substitute other types to your liking.
- 20You can use the soft tofu, but it will break down more easily when stirring and also release more liquid as well.
- 21If you add to much stock (1/2 to 3/4 is good) or the softer types of tofu the sauce will become to thinnerï¿½ and you will then need to add more of the tapioca starch mixture for a thicker sauce.
- 22The Amoy Sichuan Spicy Noodle Sauce (fermented salted soybean, chili, garlic) is a great ingredient for this spicy dish or use other types of sauce found on Asian food store shelves.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mapo Tofu With Chinese Black Beans Sichuan Style
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 209.2
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 10.2 mg
- Sodium 578.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 10.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: