1/3 Photos of Mapo Tofu
From About.com: Chinese Food A famous Szechuan recipe - the name Ma Po Tofu is roughly translated as "pockmarked grandmother beancurd," named for the old woman who supposedly invented the dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Marinade for Ground Pork
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- 1 lb regular tofu (medium firmness)
- 1 leeks or 3 green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chinese preserved black bean (fermented black beans, also called Chinese black beans)
- 1 tablespoon chili bean paste
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock or 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- freshly ground szechwan pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil, for stir-frying, as needed
- 1Mix marinade ingredients. Marinate pork for about 20 minutes.
- 2Cut the tofu (bean curd) into 1/2 inch (1 cm) square cubes, and blanch (drop into boiling water) for 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from boiling water and drain.
- 3Chop leek or green onions into short lengths.
- 4Heat wok and add oil. When oil is ready, add the marinated pork. Stir-fry pork until the color darkens. Add salt and stir. Add the salted black beans. Mash the beans with a cooking ladle until they blend in well with the meat. Add the chili paste, then the stock, bean curd, and leek or green onions.
- 5Turn down the heat. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
- 6While cooking, mix cornstarch, water, and soy sauce together. Add to wok and stir gently. Serve with freshly ground Szechuan pepper.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mapo Tofu
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.8
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 27.0 mg
- Sodium 1201.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 17.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili bean paste