Mapo Doufu (Sichuan Tofu Ground Beef in Red Chile Sauce)
- Place tofu in a bowl with 3 cups boiling salted water. Let sit 15 minutes. Drain and spread on paper towels to dry; set aside.
- Heat oil in a 14 inch flat-bottomed wok or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add beef; cook, stirring and breaking up meat, until browned, 4–6 minutes.
- Add chives, chiles, paste, and beans. Cook, stirring, until scallions are wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add stock and tofu. Bring to a boil, stirring gently, so as not to break up the tofu.
- Add sugar and soy. Cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. While stirring, slowly add cornstarch mixture. Cook until sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes more.
- Transfer to a dish and garnish with scallions and pepper. Serve with rice.