Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is from a restaurant in Chengdu, Sichuan, China.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu, drained cut into 1 inch cubes
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup sichuan red chili oil (hong you)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 inches piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 6 ounces ground beef or 6 ounces ground pork
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced plus more for garnish
- 1 red Thai chile, stemmed and minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chinese red chile bean paste (douban jiang)
- 1 tablespoon chinese fermented black soybeans (dou chi)
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cornstarch, mixed with 6 tbsp water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sichuan pepper, for garnish
- steamed rice, for serving
- 1Place tofu in a bowl with 3 cups boiling salted water. Let sit 15 minutes. Drain and spread on paper towels to dry; set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a 14 inch flat-bottomed wok or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 3Add beef; cook, stirring and breaking up meat, until browned, 4–6 minutes.
- 4Add chives, chiles, paste, and beans. Cook, stirring, until scallions are wilted, about 2 minutes.
- 5Add stock and tofu. Bring to a boil, stirring gently, so as not to break up the tofu.
- 6Add sugar and soy. Cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. While stirring, slowly add cornstarch mixture. Cook until sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes more.
- 7Transfer to a dish and garnish with scallions and pepper. Serve with rice.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mapo Doufu (Sichuan Tofu Ground Beef in Red Chile Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.7
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 31.1 mg
- Sodium 402.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 18.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red Thai chile
ground sichuan pepper