Recipe by JamesDean'sGirl
From my mother's collection--she is a fabulous baker and cook. Everyone who samples her cake wants the recipe--here it is! A heavy, rich pound-type cake that is also good toasted and slathered with butter.
Top Review by rosbarry
After recently making this cake and most definitely what I was looking for, it was amazing!! Easy to make.....and the aroma while baking is heavenly. I loved how this cake came out of the pan the size it was too! Hey! Indulge, and do yourself a favour you Maple syrup lovers out there......toast up a slice and compliment its flavour with a little butter. Mmmmm!!!!
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed light brown sugar or 1 1⁄4 cups dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (you can toast them too, if desired)
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 7 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325*F.
- Lightly grease 10" tube pan.
- STREUSEL: In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon with a fork until crumbly.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- POUNDCAKE: Using an electric mixer on high speed, cream together the butter, pancake syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until well blended (the mixture will look curdled).
- Add the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition (the mixture will still look curdled).
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour, beating just until blended and smooth.
- Spoon 1/2 the batter into the prepared pan; sprinkle with 1/2 the streusel.
- Cover with remaining batter and streusel.
- Bake for 75-85 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; loosen edges of cake from sides of pan.
- Carefully invert onto a wire rack; cool completely.
- Store wrapped airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days.