Prep 30 mins
Cook 34 mins
These are very easy and delicious! I added a teaspoon of (organic) maple flavoring to the topping - extra yum! From “The Four-Sided Cookie” (Bodger)
For the bottom layer
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pats
For the topping
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup packedlight brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Directions for bottom layer:
- Put the flour, brown sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process to combine.
- Add the butter and process until mixture begins to clump, scraping down the bowl several times.
- With moistened fingers, pat the dough evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until dry-looking and firm to the touch.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Directions for topping:.
- Put the eggs, brown sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla in the food processor bowl (no need to clean it) and process until well blended.
- Add the walnuts and pulse several times to combine and to chop the walnuts.
- Pour the topping over the cooled dough in the pan.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until the topping is set, crisp, andbrown.
- Let the pan cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into 24 bars.