Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I just found this in the local newspaper and it sounds so delicious that I just had to post it.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon maple flavoring
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk (add extra by tsp if needed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- walnut halves (to garnish)
- In mixer bowl cream butter and sugars until fluffy.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In measuring cup combine milk and maple flavoring, and beat into butter mixture alternatively with flour mixture.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time.
- Mix in 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts.
- Turn into greased 9 or 10 inch tube pan and bake in lower third of 300-degree oven 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, just until pick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle with maple glaze and garnish with walnuts.
- Maple Glaze:
- In a small bowl mix 1 cup sifted powdered sugar with 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Milk to make a glaze of thick pouring consistency. Stir in 1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring.
Excellent cake, and easy to make as well! I used 1 1/2 cups of icing sugar to make the glaze, and since I ran out of maple extract in the cake, used 2 tbsp of dark amber (real) maple syrup plus 2 tbsp milk as well. The glaze came out perfect and had a lovely maple flavour. Instead of using plain walnut halves on top of the cake for decoration, I used Acadia's Super Easy Candied Walnuts - Super Easy Candied Walnuts, which are delicious! What a special cake! Thanks, Annacia, for a keeper! Made for PRMR Tag.
Great cake! I agree a little with the previous reviewers note that it was a little pancake-y. I used 2 cups of icing sugar in the glaze though to make it more frosting like.
Wow, Annacia this was delicious! My whole family enjoyed this, my kids said it tasted like a pancake!! This reminded me of a fall day.... This is going to become a regular in my house. Thanks for posting this Annacia!! Made for photo tag 08'