Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was always my father's favorite flavour of ice cream, and there is nothing tastier or better than fresh homemade icecream. This goes great with large wedges of apple walnut pie,a nd if you are feeling really decadent, butterscotch sauce poured over all.
- Boil syrup in a 2 quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until reduced to 3/4 cup, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream, milk and salt and bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Whisk eggs in a large bow, then add hot cream in a slow stream, whisking.
- Transfer to a saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened and an instant read thermometer registers 170*F, 1 to 2 minutes (do not let boil!).
- Pour custard through a fine sieve into a clean metal bowl, then cool, stirring occasionally.
- Chill, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours.
- Freeze custard in an ice-cream maker until soft frozen, then with motor running, add nuts.
- Continue churning ice cream until frozen, then transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden.