Recipe by mell_2
I have not tried this one yet. It comes from Bon Appétit November 2007. They have replaced egg whites for the usual butter or oil.
- nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup packed golden brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup egg white (about 2 large egg whites)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons maple extract
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup walnut halves, broken in half
- 1 cup dried cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 325°F Generously coat heavy large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. Stir 1/2 cup sugar and syrup in heavy small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves, occasionally brushing down sides with wet pastry brush. Pour into large bowl; cool to lukewarm. Whisk in egg whites, extracts, and spices. Add oats, nuts, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar; toss well.
- Spread mixture in even layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes. Using metal spatula, turn granola over (bottom will be brown). Bake 10 minutes. Sprinkle cranberries over; bake until dry, about 10 minutes longer. Cool granola completely in pan.