Prep 24 hrs
Cook 40 mins
This is a make ahead dough that requires over night refrigeration. It is worth the effort and a crowd pleaser.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 7 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups soft butter
- 1 beaten egg white
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Combine the sugar and salt in the cold milk, stirring for at least one minute to dissolve.
- Add flour and yeast. Add eggs 2 at at time, mixing well after each addition.
- Kead dough until it is supple and elastic. Work the butter into the dough in three parts.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and cover with a dish towel. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, grease a round 9" cake pan.
- Remove dough from fridge. Form dough into small balls and arrange them in a circle pattern to fill the pan.
- Place the cake pan in a warm place for the dough balls to rise for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush the the dough balls with beaten egg white.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- When the cake is out of the oven, bring the maple syrup and sugar to a boil. Continue boiling at a simmer for 4-5 minutes, then pour evenly over baked brioche. Serve with whipped cream.