Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a quick and easy bar cookie made with a cake mix crust. I was given a huge bottle of maple syrup on the condition that I make cookies and this is what I used it for. These are not overly sweet and a great fall cookie.
- 517.37 g package white cake mix (I used a vanilla)
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 177.44 ml pure maple syrup
- 59.14 ml light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 354.88 ml walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the bottom layer, in a large bowl, combine cake mix, butter and egg.
- Stir until mixture forms a thick dough.
- Press evenly into the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, for the top layer, in a large bowl, combine syrup, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Pour over hot bottom layer; spread to cover the entire surface.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until the top layer just starts to set.
- Cool completely in pan.
- Cut into bars.
Chewy, gooey goodness! The texture reminded me of pecan pie but with walnuts, very delicious. I made exactly as directed. Thanks for the recipe. Made for Photo Tag!
I was trying to find a recipe for a particular cookie, and while this didn't end up being it, it was still delicious. I melted some chocolate and drizzled it on the top. Everyone enjoyed them.
This was great, I did not have the full amount of maple syrup so I used half pancake syrup and maple syrup and used 1 tablespoon vanilla, this seemed to work fine, the crust from this is delicious and I'm certain it may be used successfully for many other recipes, thanks for sharing Mary!...Kitten:)