Recipe by Elly in Canada
One of our family favourites, my aunt used to make these every Christmas, now it has become my tradition!
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup soft shortening
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring (I use 2 tsp.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl blend the melted butter, shortening, sugar, egg and flavouring together.
- Measure flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt into a bowl, stir to blend thoroughly.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually to the butter mixture.
- Mix well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets.
- Wet bottom of a drinking glass and press down on cookie batter to flatten into a thin wafer.
- Place onto baking sheet and bake for 8 - 10 minutes.
- These little cookies may be put together in pairs with icing if desired.