This is for the World Tour 2005 RecipeZaar event. I've posted it in the Canadian section. I haven't made the cake yet, but hope to soon. The recipe is in the Time Life Good Cook "Cakes" Cookbook.
- Heat syrup until boiling, and pour it into a rectangular oven proof dish that is about 2 inches deep, with dimensions of about 6" X 10".
- Cream butter and sugar til fluffy. Beat in egg.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt, and add to butter mixture, alternating with additions of the milk.
- Pour batter into the hot syrup.
- Bake at 375 F for 25 - 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake 10 minutes, and heat a platter. Run a knife around the edges to loosen it. Flip the cake onto the heated platter. Dot the top with the pecan halves and cut into portions. Serve warm with whipped cream.