Recipe by Sassy in da South
This upside down cake is from the cookbook "The Candiana Cookbook". Please use real maple syrup as this makes a lot of difference in the flavour.
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour, all-purpose
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg or 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup nutmeats, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring syrup to a boil and pour into a generously buttered 8x8x2 baking dish.
- Let stand in a warm place,
- With a large spoon beat butter, sugar and egg together until creamy.
- Mix remaining dry ingredients and add with the milk to the creamed mixture, stirring until well blended.
- Place as four large balls into hot syrup, then stretch dough with two forks.
- until all are joined together.
- This is easy because the dough gets soft when it comes in contact with the hot syrup.
- If using nutmeats, add them to the hot syrup.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Tastes great with ice cream or whipping cream, served warm.