Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Serve warm or cool, never hot.
Make and share this Maple Syrup Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 1 cup each of water and maple syrup in a saucepan and heat to boiling.
- Add salt and butter.
- Mix cornstarch and 1 tbsp cold water and add to egg yolks.
- Beat well.
- Add hot syrup gradually to egg mixture and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thick.
- Cool slightly.
- Strain into pie shell.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Slowly add remaining tbsp maple syrup.
- Spoon over pie.
- Form into peaks with the back of the spoon.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
I made this again recently. Great flavour. It was worth making my own pastry for this. I followed the recipe, but I was careful at step 6, as things can go wrong here. It also took longer to bake in my oven. Thanks for posting :)
Not sure what happened, maybe it was me but I followed the directions to a tee but the maple filling although tasty was very runny even after chilling overnight. Cut one slice and the whole pie was ruined. The two egg whites didn't seem to make enough meringue to cover the pie. In all I was pretty disappointed, it was a waste of a cup of pure maple syrup. Sorry. :(
This was a delicious pie! I ended up adding the egg mixture to the hot maple liquid (rather than the other way around) using a whisk and didn't have any problems with lumps that I had to strain it. I also added 1/2 cup of roughly chopped pecans to the mix for a bit of crunch. Thank you for a great recipe!