Sangrita - Chef #234231's Note:
This is a Quebec recipe, we make for Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas. It is a recipe which has been passed down for my great great grandmother, my grandmother made this, my mom, my aunties, now I am sharing this family recipe with you all. Soon to be in my new cookbook at Cafepress :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 lb) ham (4 kg)
maple syrup water
- 1In a large pot bring the ham to a boil in the maple syrup water.
- 2Reduce the heat and let simmer on low heat for 3 to 4 hours, or until the ham is tender.
- 3Remove the ham from the water and let sit for 15 minutes or until cooled.
- 4Reserve a few cups of this water for later use.
- 5Once ham is cooled remove the rind and place aside for now.
- 6In a bowl crush the maple sugar and mix with the mustard and apple juice, stir well till blended.
- 7Add the cloves to the maple sugar and juice mixture and let sit for 15 minutes until the flavors blend together.
- 8Place your ham in a roasting pan and baste your ham with the maple sugar juice mixture, making sure to heavily coat the whole ham.
- 9Add a cup or more of the ham water into your roasting pan and add the ham rind.
- 10Add the raisins, placing some raisins over the the top of ham.
- 11Bake ham for 40 to 50 minutes in a 300°F oven. Baste your ham often adding more ham water if needed, the more the tastier it will be.
- 12Remove from oven and place on serving platter, pour the raisins and maple syrup drippings over the ham.
- 13Note: I use quebec smoked ham. My mother makes this ham with bacon strips over top of ham held on with toothpicks. Like I said the more flavors the tastier it will be. We make this ham for Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas. Serve with mashed potatoes, carrots and turnips all whipped together.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maple Syrup Glazed Ham - Jambon Glacé a L ' Érable
Serving Size: 1 (769 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1199.2
- Calories from Fat 266
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 265.3 mg
- Sodium 7757.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 100.2 g
- Protein 115.1 g