Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Spices were available and always popular because the seafaring men of the coastal villages sailed to the islands in the South Seas. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Grease an 7 x 11 cake pan and line with parchment or waxed paper; preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Blend syrup, cream and egg together; stir into dry ingredients, beating well.
- Add butter and blend well.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 30 minutes or until cake tests done.