Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Posted per request
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup, plus
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 5 large eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (optional)
- whipped cream, for garnish
- walnut halves, for garnish
- Position the oven rack in the middle position; preheat oven to 325°; butter or spray six 4-ounce ramekins.
- In a medium saucepan over med-low heat, warm the half-and-half and ½ cup of maple syrup just until steam begins to rise.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs until slightly thickened; add in the salt and rum.
- Slowly pour the hot syrup mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly.
- Set the ramekins in a large baking pan lined with a dish towel.
- Set the pan on the oven rack and ladle the maple custard mixture into the ramekins.
- Carefully add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until barely set.
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven and remove the ramekins from the water bath with a dish towel.
- Refrigerate immediately, covering the ramekins with plastic wrap after slightly, at least 2 hours or even overnight.
- Just before serving, garnish each custard with a dollop of whipped cream and walnut halves and drizzle with a teaspoon of the remaining maple syrup.