Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great flavourful cake! Add cloves, cinnamon, or other pumpkin pie spice if desired!
Make and share this Maple Syrup Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour or 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set pan aside. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ginger; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until well combined. Add egg, egg yolk and maple syrup; beat for 1 minute more. Alternately add flour mixture and hot water to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until combined. Spoon batter into the prepared pan; spread evenly.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Cool completely.
- In a medium bowl beat 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons softened butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Beat in 1/4 cup pure maple syrup. Beat in 1 cup additional powdered sugar. Add 2 to 3 teaspoons milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make drizzling consistency. Makes about 1 cup.
- Spoon Maple Icing over cake and sprinkle top with walnuts. Makes 12 servings.