Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Maple Season is apon us! I got this from a local paper called the Seaway News, March 23rd edition from the Carol Kloos Country Cooking Corner
- 59.14 ml flour
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 907.18 g lean stewing beef, cut into 1in cubes
- 453.59 g can stewed tomatoes
- 236.59 ml water
- 473.18 ml potatoes, cut unto chunks
- 236.59 ml celery, sliced
- 118.29 ml dry red wine
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 44.37 ml oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 118.29 ml maple syrup
- 473.18 ml carrots, sliced
- Combine flour and seasonings in a plastic bag.
- Add beef and shake to coat.
- In a large stew pot (or Dutch oven) brown meat in hot oil.
- Add tomatoes, onions, water, wine and maple syrup.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, simmer over low heat for 1 - 1 1/2 hrs or until meat is tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots and celery and continue cooking 45-60 mins or until veggies are tender.
- If desired, thicken stew with 2 tbs flour blended into 1/4 cup cold water.
My husband could not stop eating this. I really loved it too. Thanks
I think this is the most flavourful stew I've ever had. Don't skip out on the wine - it makes your house smell great and gives the stew great flavour. I like to make this in the slow-cooker.
This turned out great. I will make again.