Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Maple Season is apon us! I got this from a local paper called the Seaway News, March 23rd edition from the Carol Kloos Country Cooking Corner
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef, cut into 1in cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups potatoes, cut unto chunks
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- Combine flour and seasonings in a plastic bag.
- Add beef and shake to coat.
- In a large stew pot (or Dutch oven) brown meat in hot oil.
- Add tomatoes, onions, water, wine and maple syrup.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, simmer over low heat for 1 - 1 1/2 hrs or until meat is tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots and celery and continue cooking 45-60 mins or until veggies are tender.
- If desired, thicken stew with 2 tbs flour blended into 1/4 cup cold water.
My husband could not stop eating this. I really loved it too. Thanks
I think this is the most flavourful stew I've ever had. Don't skip out on the wine - it makes your house smell great and gives the stew great flavour. I like to make this in the slow-cooker.
This turned out great. I will make again.