Recipe by Queen Roachie
This was in an email from Trader Joe's for the holidays. (Best little store ever!) I made it today for Thanksgiving and it's delicious! Putting on here to share and for safe keeping. One note: My sweet potatoes took quite a bit longer to roast and be tender so just check them and cook until they are done. I might have used too small a pan because I had to stir them and keep cooking past the time.
Top Review by HappyWife313
LOVE this recipe! LOVE Trader Joe's too! Found this on their website. I have the same problem with the potatoes and had to cook them a bit longer as well... I also substituted the bacon with 6 pieces of cut up turkey bacon (which came out delicious). Excellent recipe, easy to make, only downside is the prep can be a little long. Thanks for posting!!!
(I also made this recipe with sweet italian pork sausage instead of using bacon... It was delicious!!!)
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces bacon, large diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 gala apples, diced
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss potatoes with oil and salt. Roast at 400' about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Cook bacon over medium heat in a large pot. Add onions once fat starts to render. Cook until bacon is crisp and onions are translucent.
- Add apples to pot and cook 2 more minutes (I cooked longer to caramelize the apples a bit).
- Add potatoes and cook approximately 5 minutes, or until soft (Again, I cooked longer to get a bit of caramelizing on the potatoes).
- Toss with maple syrup and serve.
- Note: I roasted the potatoes the night before and just put them in the fridge so I wouldn't tie up the oven for Thanksgiving dinner.