Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious icing from the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Makes enough to frost tops and sides of two 8" layers. Cooking time is approximate.
- 2 cups maple sugar (or Faux Maple Sugar)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, finely chopped (preferably butternuts)
- Combine all ingredients except nuts in a saucepan.
- Cook to 234F (soft ball stage).
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Add nuts and beat until creamy; spread on cake at once.