Recipe by Courtly
Old-fashioned maple sugar frosting tops this tasty spice cake.
Top Review by Cookin'withGas
Nice cake, although a coarser texture than I normally prefer...The frosting was interesting, with the underlying tang from the sour cream...I think I might try this again, but as cupcakes instead...Thank you for the new experience! :)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
Maple Sugar Frosting
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 4 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sour cream
- chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a bowl, combine the syrup, milk, sour cream and maple flavoring.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, clovs, allspice, nutmeg and mace; add to creamed mixture alternately with syrup mixture.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool.
- For frosting, in a mixing bowl, cream butter and maple flavoring. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar. Add enough sour cream to acheive spreading consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Store in the refrigerator.